Sun and Moon Astronomical Data for Programming
This article discusses how to calculate the Chinese Lunar Calendar using the solar and lunar astronomical raw data.
Before looking for our data format, we want to compare the Sun and Moon data with the book of The American Ephemeris for the 21st Century 2001 to 2050 at midnight by Neil F. Michelsen, a calendar bible for western astrology. The difference between two astronomical data should be within 1 minute because of some data without seconds. You will have strong confidence in using our data.
Sun and Moon Data
|American Ephemeris September/October 2003|
New Moon at 9/26 3:10 and 4/25 12:51
2003/01/02 20:23:00 N
The following are sample data for your reference. Note: All sample data are in the text file format. Today, Internet security doesn't recommend to show text files over the Internet. Therefore, we removed them all.
Moon - Lunar Data
- Moon Four Phase Data - Moon Phases Raw Data
- New Moon and Full Data - Moon Two Phases Raw Data
- UT New Moon Data - VB program can generate China New Moon Data, PST New Moon Data
- UT Full Moon Data - VB program can generate China Full Moon Data, PST Full Moon Data
- UT New Moon and Full Moon Data - VB program can generate China Time Zone or PST zone
Full Moon Data is good for the application to find the Easter related holiday.
Sun - Solar Data
- UT Solar Sector Point - VB program generates China Sector Point Data and PST Sector Point Data
- UT Solar Center Point - VB program generates China Center Point Data and PST Center Point Data
- UT Mix Solar Sector and Center Points - VB program generates China Time zone and PST zone Data
Mix Sun and New Moon Data
The VB program combines Sun and Moon Data in the Chinese Astronomical and Civil Calendar sequences from Different time zones.
- Astronomical Calendar - Mix Solar Center Points and New Moons
- UT Center Point and New Moon Data
- China Center Point and New Moon Data
- PST Center Point and New Moon Data
- Civil Calendar - Mix Solar Center Points and New Moons
- Civil UT Center Point and New Moon Data
- Civil China Center Point and New Moon Data
- Civil PST Center Point and New Moon Data
- Mix Solar (Center and Sector) Points and New Moons
- UT Solar Points and New Moon Data
- China Solar Points and New Moon Data
- Civil China Solar Points and New Moon Data
The VB program calculates the Chinese Astronomical and Civil Lunar Months from Different time zones.
- UT Lunar Months - VB program generates China Lunar Months and PST Lunar Months
- UT Civil Lunar Months - VB program generates China Civil Lunar Months and PST Civil Lunar Months
Lunar Leap Months
The VB program lists Chinese Astronomical and Civil Lunar Leap Months with Double-Center-Point months from Different time zones. It also indicates the Fake Leap Months.
- UT Leap Months - VB program generates China Leap Months and PST Leap Months
- UT Civil Leap Months - VB program generates China Civil Leap Months and PST Civil Leap Months
Another VB program compares the discrepancy about the assignment of Lunar Leap Months from different time zones.
- UT Leap Months and UT Civil Leap Months
- UT Leap Months and China Civil Leap Months
- UT Civil Leap Months and China Civil Leap Months
- China Civil Leap Months and PST Civil Leap Months
There is no difference in the Lunar Month assignments of Astronomical Calendars from any two different time zone.
Final Data in MS Access Database for Chinese Calendar
Final Sun Data
|Simple Sun Table (SunKey)||Sun Table with Date (T01)|
|Julian Day . Hour . Minute||Julian Day . Year . Month . Day . Hour . Minute|
Final Moon Table
|New Moon, Lunar Month, Leap Month Data (T02)|
|Julian Day . Lunar Month No . Leap Month . Hour. Minute . Civil Lunar Month . Civil Leap Month No|
You can import the Sun and Moon data into Access, SQL, Oracle, MySQL, Sybase, or FoxPro database for your application. If you want to manipulate data in different formats, then you can reformat the Sun and Moon raw data and sort the data sequence you want before loading into your database.
We provide some Visual Basic sample programs to work with the Sun and Moon data stored in the Microsoft Access Database.