Chinese Astrology Five Element Relationships
Chinese Five Elements have three different kind of relationships. One is the Circulating Relationship, which is the mother-and-child relation. The next one is the Harmful Relationship, which is the dominating relationship. The last one is the Hostile and Fighting Relationship.
The Circulating (Mother-Child) Relationship
The elements next to each other are conducive, beneficial, congenial, friendly, supporting, and generating.
- Water generates Wood - Water is the mother of Wood
- Wood generates Fire - Wood is the mother of Fire
- Fire generates Earth - Fire is the mother of Earth
- Earth generates Metal - Earth is the mother of Metal
- Metal generates Water - Metal is the mother of Water
The Harmful Relationship
An element has capability to destroy, defeat, overcome, and overwhelm the element next to it.
- Water can extinguish Fire
- Wood can break the ground (Earth)
- Fire can melt Metal
- Earth can make Water disappear
- Metal can break Wood
The Hostile (Fighting) Relationship
The elements facing each other are hostile, fighting, resisting, and hurting mutually.
- Water dislikes Fire
- Wood dislikes Earth
- Fire dislikes Metal
- Earth dislikes Water
- Metal dislikes Wood